Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Retro Bridesmaid

In July, my brother announced that he's marrying his girlfriend next March in a destination wedding at Sandals resort in St. Lucia. Because it's going to be a small wedding with just family and a few close friends, we're able to avoid the cheesy traditions of buffet dinners, wedding reception DJs, and, best of all, matching bridesmaids. There's a dinner before the wedding, and otherwise it's all frolicking around a tropical locale with my family and my boyfriend. I've never really been to a tropical locale before, and the only ocean I've seen has been during trips to frigid Ireland and Maine, and a shark-interrupted Florida beach visit. I'm excited to purchase a retro swimsuit for the trip, but I haven't found the perfect high-waisted two piece yet (any suggestions??).
Though it's still early, I wanted to find a dress for the wedding before winter hit and my options narrowed considerably. While trolling Etsy during work yesterday, I landed on the perfect dress from SmallEarthVintage :

At $140, it was a little more than I would usually spend, but it is a special occasion. I'm also going to two other weddings next summer, so where's the harm in a little re-wearing? This dress has such a Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby vibe, I can't stand it! I'm so exicted for it to arrive in the mail. After a tour through many Pittsburgh department store dress sections and boutiques, I've learned vintage is pretty much always the way to go. Surely no one else will be wearing the same dress.

-Maura

8 comments:

  1. I already told you via e-mail, but this dress is so adorable! And so you! - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that is the cutest dress every! It will be perfect for a tropical getaway. You def should buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is amazing!! This is a lovely blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh the dress really is the best and I totally see the Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby reference! (I've actually never seen the movie, but I've tracked down and saved so many stills from it to my computer it's ridiculous!)
    You will be perfectly dressed for a tropical getaway! Enjoy the uninterupted by sharks vacation and the warm water and white sands! where are you guys headed?
    also, congratulations to your brother and his wife to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the compliments! We're going to St. Lucia, although it's not until March. I was so excited about getting a new dress, I couldn't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    A link exchange sounds great! I have already added you to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wore a vintage dress to a wedding this summer. in a sea of jersey cotton, i stood out (in a demure way, if that makes sense), but i embraced it, and was even complimented on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOW!!! This dress is gorgeous! You must go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete