Friday, September 4, 2009

Reading on the Subway

So, this is not particularly fashion-y, but I wanted to share this article I found in The New York Times this morning, which just made me smile. It's all about how people read on the subway, what they read, and how they do it despite the crowds. It made me happy to see a little slice of New York life that rings so true to me. Here's a snippet from the article:

"These days, among the tattered covers may be the occasional Kindle, but since most trains are still devoid of Internet access and cellphone reception, the subway ride remains a rare low-tech interlude in a city of inveterate multitasking workaholics. And so, we read.

Even without a seat, even while pressed with strangers into human panini, even as someone plays a keyboard harmonica and rattles a cup of change, even when stumbling home after a party."

The article goes on to talk about specific people they saw on the subway and what they were reading. My favorite was the kids coming back from a camp field trip who were required to read their books whenever they were lucky enough to get a seat on the subway. I liked that story, too because one of the little girls they mention was reading a Babysitter's Club book and boy, oh boy, was I into those when I was a kid.

Maybe because I'm going to New Jersey for the weekend, I'm thinking a little bit about NYC this morning and what I love about it. Sometimes taking the train can be awful and crowded and smelly, but sometimes it can be so relaxing and exciting to find your own little mental space to read in the midst of the crowds of strangers.

Have a great Labor Day!

- Jenna

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the subway being a place for kids to read--I never thought of that. I'm a person who can never read on the subway or bus, but I love taking in the bus in the morning just to chill out and listen to my iPod. It's a great way to start the day. -Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could read on the subway to pass the time, but I get motion sick :(

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great weekend! And thank you for your comment on my blog, I've really enjoyed reading and discovering you guys. I am mildly obsessed with NYC and I will be checking back regularly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm adding you to our links as well! - Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes i wish i could read and walk at the same time. i would get so much work done...

    ReplyDelete