Friday, July 24, 2009

Grandfather's Clocks

Because I'm relatively poor and live in a small apartment, most of my vintage houseware and furniture desires must go unfulfilled until I have more money and a larger living space. For this reason, I seem to have become slightly fixated on modern clocks. I didn't realize it was a collection until I already had at one vintage clock in every room aside from the kitchen, with two in the living room. So I thought I would share my clocks with you:














These two are my living room clocks. The first was purchased from the Galesburg Antinque Mall for $5, and I was very pleased to see it worked! It reminded me of the type of solid piece one might find in the Draper residence. The second is one that Robert got me for Christmas. I love, love, love this style of clock, though I'm hoping to eventually move this one to the kitchen and purchase another like these, my fantasy clocks:















Here are more of mine, my two bedroom clocks:



I got the small Timex clock for $1 at a Pittsburgh estate sale. Sure, it's nothing too special, but I love the seafoam-colored second hand. The pink clock is a new version of an old clock model from the 1950s. For some unknown reason, L. L. Bean was selling them a few years ago and my parents got me one. The great thing about it is that the alarm provides a pulsing light for 5 minutes prior to wake up time. I almost always wake up to that, which is great. The only bad thing is, the alarm itself sounds like a school-bell and will make you jump out of your skin. Hooray for clocks! If anyone else has cool clocks or knows a good place to get cheap ones, please leave links in the comments section!
-Maura

1 comment: